Light Within

making sense of social media mix

Hajj and Eid Greetings to All

Bookmark and Share

Adil Najam


Congratulations for the over 2 million Muslims - including the nearly 200,000 Pakistanis - who performed Hajj yesterday.


To me, the Hajj is an amazing and powerful symbol of equality and unity in a world distraught with frictions and factions.

It is not just a symbol of 'Muslim brotherhood' but of human oneness. It is not simply a connection - in its rituals and its meanings - amongst the Abrahamic faiths; it is also a spiritually moving and visually powerful symbol of the unity of all humankind. There are those who wish to reduce the meaning of the message to merely one religion, or even one sect. I, at least, have always found it a more universal message and moved by the symbolism of unity and harmony of all.


On this day, even as one reads comments on blogs such as this, reads the newspaper, or simply tunes into television news, one finds conversations that highlight differences: between rich and poor, East and West, 'gooras' and 'kaalas', between shias and sunnis, between ethnicities, between sects, between races, between political parties, between 'liberals' and 'mullahs', between 'us' and 'them'.

It seems that everywhere and always we are not just divided but we take pride in our divisions. Our language, our vocabulary, our thought processes are geared to highlight our differences with others. We take a perverse pride in these differences, whether we consider ourselves to be 'superior' to others or we believe ourselves to be victims of differentiation.

Today, as I see pictures of Hajj I am moved - as I always am - by the sea of humanity and the oneness of that humanity. Today, on what is Eid day for me here in Boston, I pray that the message we take is one of humility; that the feeling we have are of universal humanity and fraternity, and the vows we make are of peace and goodwill for all and everywhere.

Labels: ,

posted by S A J Shirazi @ Sunday, January 08, 2012,

9 Comments:

At 09:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing blessings and peace to all.

 
At 12:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy eid and happy new year to you and your family !

 
At 21:59, Anonymous irving said...

Eid Mubarak dear Brother :) And Happy New Year!

You are so right about the divisions people enjoy feeling superior about. May Allah grant us all the wisdom to see our common humanity, the real kinship of all human beings, instead of the false divisions of language, color, race, religion, tribe sect, ethnicity, gender, status and other such stupidities.

Ya Haqq!

 
At 05:17, Blogger chosha said...

"It is not just a symbol of 'Muslim brotherhood' but of human oneness. It is not simply a connection...it is also a spiritually moving and visually powerful symbol of the unity of all humankind."

Um, what?! Not being familiar with the term, I just googled 'hajj' and found that it is the pilgramage to Mecca. Mecca. The city I cannot enter because I am not Muslim. Me entering this city is in fact punishable by death. Unity of all humankind - have you lost your mind? I'm having trouble thinking of a greater symbol of exclusion.

 
At 07:12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

Eid Mubarak to you, too. Insha'Allah, you and your family are having a nice time celebrating this Eid.

I think I commentated on your post already on ATP.

Was Salam
muhtaj-e-dua

 
At 03:04, Blogger David Stoker said...

Came across your post doing a little research. I think the symbolism of the Hajj is beautiful. I am always moved by the images of such a large gathering of devotees moving in unity. I wish you all a wonderful celebration.

 
At 07:28, Blogger jinghao said...

When I begin to play this Seal Online game, I first go to buy seal online cegel to buy some my favorite and beautiful clothes to dress up my character. I have spent cheap seal cegel to buy my favorite cloth. I mean we have anime and some necessary seal online cegel based games that do not look really kid dish. Though I will admit with my own seal cegel I went crazy on leveling with DECO. Some of the skills that we can use our sealonline cegel to improve to look amazing, and are fun to just watch honestly.

 
At 16:15, Anonymous Umra said...

Eid and Hajj together symbolize the Islamic virtues of peace and goodwill to all men.

 
At 23:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

100% sheepskin Classic Tall [ URL=http://www.otherchanel.com.com/ - chanel ultra correction lift [/URL ax3c85 are low price, Discount Bailey Button [ URL=http://www.theychanel.com.com/ - lunettes solaire chanel [/URL ie7d05 sale with fast shipping, Buy Classic Short [ URL=http://www.lightchanel.com.com/ - weter chanel [/URL rc6j91 and Top quality of Women's chanel handbags

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


Shoes Shop

Popular Posts

How I Work From Home and Make Extra Money?

Why Everyone Blogs and Why You Too Should?

Business {Blogging} Proposal

Subscribe by Email

Blog Roll